My IBS Journey


I'd had the symptoms for as long as I can remember. Stomach cramps, trapped wind, er not so trapped wind, C and D, fatigue, brain fog, bloating. Often the bloating is so bad I can't fit into my jeans! Yet I was never taken seriously by GPs. My first memory of mentioning IBS as a possibility was when I was 14, and I was completely shut down. I brought it up to every GP I saw throughout my undergraduate degree and was told to eat more fruit (which probably made it worse!) and it wasn't until 8 years later, just before I turned 22, that someone took me seriously. I was finally given the blood tests I needed to rule out IBD and Coeliac, given the preliminary IBS diagnosis and referred to a dietician.

Even though at this point I was no closer to reducing my symptoms, it just felt so good to have even a glimmer of a diagnosis. After years of missing school and university due to my symptoms, and being made to feel like I was pestering GPs, someone had finally taken me seriously (would like to note that I love the NHS with all my heart and I don't know how I'd ever cope without it, just sometimes individual GPs don't know everything).

I started the low FODMAP diet around a year ago (with a registered dietician, as is strongly recommended) and honestly I'm only just about to properly start the reintroduction phase. I followed the diet very strictly for the first 3 or 4 months, occasionally bursting into tears in the Tesco bakery section because I just wanted some good ol' regular cake. I really did see an improvement in my symptoms. It's not a diet that works for everyone, and as my IBS also flares up whenever I experience almost any heightened emotion I did still get some flare ups. Since then I stick to it mostly, checking my low FODMAP app whenever I'm not too sure about something (I just got a free one, though my dietician recommended the Monash one but I didn't fancy paying for an app). I did try the reintroduction phase last year but the first 3 things I tried to reintroduce gave me symptoms, and I kind of became too scared to finish it properly.

I do occassionally go off plan. Okay I go off plan a teeny tiny bit probably every other day but when I get symptoms I can usually trace it back to why, and because I'm starting to know my limits I don't get ill anywhere near as often as I used it. I moved to Glasgow about 7 months ago and was very quickly referred to a new dietician to try to help me properly reintroduce the higher FODMAP foods. We wrote up a plan and I'm hoping to start soon and actually persevere this time, which could take me around 4-6 months depending on how often I can fit in the reintroductions. Wish me luck!

If you think you might have IBS, definitely don't give up when it comes to mentioning it to your GP. They often suggest filling out a food diary with your diet and symptoms so go prepared with one already, as that'll be one hurdle overcome asap. And hopefully it'll take you much less than 8 years to get taken seriously!

Emily J

Comments

Popular Posts